Thursday, February 16, 2012

Athlete In-Group

Recently someone came up to me and said: "I wish I could wear sweats to school everyday and get away with it like athletes."

I guess by definition Baylor Athletics would be considered an In-Group.  Most athletes feel an affinity or closeness to other athletes purely for the reason that they understand the dynamics of each others lives, and it's easy to make friends with people who function with a similar mentality.  And as with many In-Groups, there is often an In-Group Bias.  Not to say that all athletes hold an In-Group Bias, but I definitely would say that it is present at Baylor.

For example:  Often times when being introduced to a friend of a friend (who is also happens to be an athlete), the first thing that will be said is "This is Jenn, she runs track."  Or if I am not introduced by my affiliation with athletics the friend will ask "Oh what sport do you play?" What if I wasn't in athletics?  Does that mean I'm somehow not worthy to be part of your tight-knit group of friends?

I'll admit it, sometimes I carry an In-Group bias.  I'll ask people what sport they play and if I receive an answer that "I don't," yeah I'm less interested in their life.  This doesn't mean that I like the person any less because they aren't in athletics, but I often times find it difficult to spend time with people who aren't currently in a sport.

Personally I think the reason that athletes hang out with other athletes is because

  • Our schedules mesh. Class in the morning, practice in the afternoon, tutoring at night. Repeat.
  • We have similar eating and habits. Carbloading.
  • We spend a WHOLE LOT of time together working hard at practice and it creates bonds other people wouldn't understand unless they physically endured the pain along with us.
  • Game days mean no party nights and when everyone else is out, you have your hang out with and head to bed early along with you.
So maybe there's an Out-Group bias that certain people find it okay for athletes to wear sweats everyday because we work out everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment